Thursday, August 13, 2015

Welcome to Rickety

*click pictures to enlarge*





I've been working on some longer form comic ideas - this one's about a weird town, where strange things happen - Twin Peaks/Eerie, Indiana-style stuff - this was the "pilot" introduction. 

I'm loving working in panels SO MUCH but it is hard!! And very different to working in pages for children's book illustration. 

I've been reading Scott McCloud's books (think I've come rather late to them, and they are very helplful!) and thinking about different compositions etc... anyway, I'm going to keep on going, though I think this idea for a serial still needs a lot of thinking and work.

8 comments:

Tango Chow said...

Oohhhh! What a great comic you did!! Please, please make more, I hunger for such interesting comics too much! By the way, I have three of Scott's books too. They all are helpful and funny!

Joel said...

I love love love this! Please keep going.

Maybe I should try again with Scott McCloud. When I tried before I couldn't get past the air of self-appointed expert, and my feeling of if you're such an expert why is this book so visually unengaging? Maybe I could get through to the wisdom that must be in there now.

Doug said...

This is so fun! I want to read more! Do you have the whole story in mind or written out, or are you just making it up as you go?

Tor Freeman said...

Thank you Tango! That's really nice to hear, I will keep going on it! And yes they are great books I think!

Tor Freeman said...

Hi Joel! Thanks so much! That's really encouraging to hear.

I really do recommend them - I know what you mean about visually unengaging, but I think that's a deliberate choice (he talks about it a little) - I've really found them helpful, but then I am SUCH a newbie with it all, so a great deal was news to me. But I reckon you should defo have another go, I bet you'd find stuff in there! And even just to have as reference it's good.

Tor Freeman said...

Thank you Doug! I have another episode finished (although it has a bit of a dubious ending at the moment!) and then I think I'll be winging it - I have a list of potential titles, but no further...!

Ben Clanton said...

This is so great Tor!!

Tor Freeman said...

Thanks Ben!