I'm still working towards my book deadline and concentrating on that, fitting in some Cacahouète and friends too! And turning my thoughts towards cards again... was thinking about them today, and how my line perhaps doesn't work so well at that size, and that they should be more graphic... I've been keen on making cards for so long and yet somehow always feel quite seized up thinking of how they should look. Anyway, one day soon I hope!
I sewed up this dress last night - it's the Washi Dress pattern by Rae Hoekstra. It was really fun to make, and I got to attempt two new things - shirring and using bias binding. Both seemed to work fine for me this time. My sister was with me and commented while I was reading the pattern aloud (excellent chat by me) that it was another language, which I guess is a big part of what I'm enjoying so much (despite being a bit of a stinker at learning languages). Already, things that were utterly baffling four months ago are starting to take shape, slowly, in the ole bean.
I haven't hemmed this yet, but couldn't wait to wear it! Naughty. The fabric is from The Cloth House, and was actually bought for a costume which hasn't yet had an outing... but I think this dress can still be part of it!
My first PDF pattern experience - and it was a good one! Satisfied the impatient "but I want it now!" part of me.
Wistful in Washi.
What's happening down here? in Washi.
Shirring? Sure thing!
You can even read excellent comics while in Washi!
I loved making this, and think I'll enjoy wearing it - it's a great pattern for all the blissful quilting weight cottons you see...
**VERDICT: The Washi Dress was better than "a wash" for me! Ha! Ha! Ha!**
Karen Wall, who wrote that her sons like my book Ambrose Goes for Gold, shared these photos of the completely beautiful, brilliant moth that she sewed for them to play with. Isn't he incredibly great? I'm really inspired to have a go at making a character myself, although I'm not in this league of sewing!
Also on her list is the caterpillar, the butterfly and the ladybird - if she does manage them too I can't wait to see! As a mega novice, I'm filled with admiration for Karen's sewing skills.
Thank you so much for sharing Karen, your moth RULES!
Check him OUT!
Lovely stained glass window wings.
Original moth. Who could do with taking some sprucing-up tips from Karen's moth. Also, its nose is like that because it's a super cool hummingbird-hawk moth:
(Not because, as some may have suggested, I get confused between moths and elephants...!)
I'm going to a new printing studio tomorrow for an induction and to have a go with these yoga cats. I will have half a table at an illustration fair in Hastings in December, so I'm thinking about what I should have for sale.
Not yet sure how big or how many per page I'm going to have these guys... but I'm keen to do some printing before I forget again!
I had a lot of fun sewing the Mathilde Blouse by Tilly of Tilly and the Buttons. The buttonhole setting on my machine isn't great, but it did the job and the buttonholes actually work this time! And it was my first go at French seams, which means the inside looks pretty okay too.
I think the fabric I chose was a little flimsy, and that something stiffer and more shape-holding would be better for next time. I'm going to have another go at this pattern soon, and I have some weightier gingham brown cotton for the attempt.
Brown and green, what a team!
I wore my Mathilde out to the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace - what lovely views from the top of the hill looking over London... which I am here obscuring with my posing.
Back view - check OUT those green bad boys!!
The show was a lot of fun, and we drooled over all the fabrics and notions... I bought some linen, and next on my list is the Anna Dress from By Hand London.
I'm enjoying colouring this spread, now that the BITTERNESS of last week's Photoshop meltdown has been healed by sweet sweet time! I was rushing, so probably not saving as often as I ought, and had an "end of file name" error message, which corrupted the whole file... much colouring lost! But I guess it's useful to have a wake up call about my saving and organising habits.
And still keeping up with the sewing! This is a top in progress, carrying on with the bright buttons look.
I spent Saturday sewing up a shirt with some lovely cotton shirting fabric from The Cloth House on Berwick Street (dangerously close by...) The pattern was made up from an old Jaeger shirt, using the technique which Alice Prier teaches at Ray Stitch.
It wasn't 100% successful - a bit massive and baggy, but that was sort of the look I was going for...! And it was my first go at buttonholes which were not nearly as scary as I'd feared. (Although, because they turned out too small, I mostly sewed the buttons into the back bit... but I'm still going to consider that part a success!)
I'm really into this blue/grey with bright red buttons look!
I've moved studios! It felt a bit soon, having only been in Dalston for a year, but the west-east commute was just starting to feel a real waste of time. It's very exciting to be in the centre of town now, and to have halved my commute. But I'm dangerously near the fabric shops of Berwick Street... I popped out for lunch just now and came back with shirt fabric, a thimble and 10 buttons. I must get a grip!
Down the alley, to the door, up the stairs... to my desk!
Which needs some loving decoration on the wall there, and then it'll be COMPLETELY perfect! I feel very lucky to be in a such a special place, and I'm going to make the most of it, and work HARD!