Friday, March 18, 2011

Norman Rockwell

 

The Tattooist by Normal Rockwell
 

 
  
The Cattooist (surely I will soon run out of animal based puns for these pictures...)
When I was at art college we did a brilliant project to help us learn how to use acrylic paints. We had to choose a painting and replicate it as best we could, at the same time adding ourselves into it somewhere. I chose this painting by Norman Rockwell, an artist I've always really admired and loved. In it, I was sitting on the sailor's lap and he was getting "Betty" crossed off, and my name tattooed on. We were looking at each other soppily - in fact I remember my tutor helping me with his face, and it was probably the best part.

I learned A LOT about using acrylics, and they became my medium of choice for a long time afterwards. Finally in the move last week it was time to bid that painting farewell and send it to the great recycling bin in the sky. So a new homage to Norman seemed appropriate today, perhaps I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. I hope this sailor sticks with Whiskers, because his arms are too short for many more feline lovelies.


3 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

How brilliant with the kitty names!

Momo said...

This is such a cool idea and love this piece.

Tor Freeman said...

Thank you both!